The Niagara Bottling Co. has propose the building of a water bottling plan in Elko New Market. Their proposal would nearly triple the city’s use of water and place a regionally vital aquifer and wildlife at risk.
Concerns center around 5 issues:
- Conservation of water supplies. How would the project affect the region’s water supply in the future? What if the drought worsens?
- Protection of water quality. What’s the potential impact on water quality and the Vermillion River Watershed?
- Plastics. How would the project affect plastics in the environment?
- Cost. What would it cost residents to upgrade water and sewer facilities?
- Noise, light, and traffic congestion. How would 24/7 operations affect the quality of life in Elko New Market?
What you can do to get involved.
- Help spread the word about this.
- Write to the city council and planning commission and urge them to vote no on this
- Write to the DNR, they are taking public comment on the city’s request to increase their water appropriation from 135 to 365 million gallons/year to accommodate this. The Niagara plant will be using city well water and city sewer.
We need everyone to spread the word and help to stop this.
There is a public facebook group called Say No to Niagara here!
And Southern Minnesota Water Stewardship here!
Click here for a flyer with information and contacts.